Apprentice Sewing Machinist - Specialised Covers
The Role of a Sewing Machinist is to provide support and assistance to areas of the business that require production and organisational tasks to be completed as part of the wider business needs. Staff at every level in Specialised Covers are responsible for, and contribute towards, the quality and success of our business. You will join our dedicated staff and be fully involved in all aspects of providing support to our production teams.
Your primary role is to assist in the manufacture of sewn goods, working with various fabrics to manufacture a wide variety of products.
You will have the ability to understand and react to instructions and requirements of your product leader in relation to basic sewing tasks. You will require basic numeracy, literacy and communication skills. We hope you will be able to demonstrate previous relevant experience and show that you are capable of learning to undertake the required tasks. You must be prepared to regularly change the tasks you are required to do and have a highly flexible approach to working with multiple teams.
Areas of Responsibility:
- To operate Lockstitch and overlock sewing machines
- To operate eyeleting equipment and similar
- To undertake preventative maintenance and cleaning of equipment
- To adhere to good practice in relation to health & safety and working methods
- To assist in the manufacture of a wide range of fabric goods
- To assist in the organisation of materials for manufacture
- To ensure work area and environment is kept clean, tidy and organised
- Any other tasks reasonably required by line manager
- To understand basic patterns and construction documents
- Support the design team with creation of Technical spec sheets
Weekly Wage: £295.50 - £331.50
Employer Name & Location: Specialised Covers, Shipley, BD17 7AD
Working week - contracted hours / full time / part time: full time, 39 hours
Number of vacancies & closing date for applications: 5, 25 Oct 2021
Duration – Perm / temp: Permanent, 15 months
Qualification and educational requirements:
- Apprentices without English and mathematics at level 1 must achieve this level and apprentices without level 2 English and mathematics must take the tests for level 2 prior to taking their EPA. For those with an education, health and care plan or a legacy statement, the apprenticeships English and maths minimum requirement is Entry Level 3. British Sign Language qualification is an alternative to English qualifications for those whom this is their primary language
Essential and desirable skills:
- Assist with the manufacture of sewn goods, working with various fabrics to manufacture a wide variety of products
- Ability to understand and react to instructions and requirements of your product leader in relation to basic sewing tasks
- Basic numeracy and literacy
- Communication skills
- No problem approach
- Can do attitude to work and challenges
- Willingness to share and learn skills
- Positive and flexible outlook
- Inclusive and kind attitude
Level 2 Sewing Machinist Operative Apprenticeship Standard
Functional Skills qualifications:
- Level 1 Functional Skill in English
- Level 1 Functional Skill in maths
The apprentice will gain technical knowledge and experience in a growing industry where good technical skills are vital. The sewing machinists role is fundamental to the production process right across the fashion and textiles industry.
The apprentice will learn vital skills including workstation preparation, stitching operations, machine and workstation maintenance and carrying out instructions. The apprentice will also gain knowledge in the materials used in production, specialist sewing machines used, the production process, quality and quantity requirements, supply chain and customer base and policies and procedures.
Training will be carried out at our Keighley Campus, Bradford Road, Keighley, BD21 4HQ
Potential full time job offer upon completion
Please fill out the details below to apply.