Audio Visual Assistant - University of Bradford (Kickstart Placement)
Main Purpose of Role:
This role is to provide entry level technical support for audio visual equipment, resources, labs and studios within the Faculty of Engineering & Informatics at the University, with a particular emphasis on the department of Media Design & Technology. During this placement, the employee will learn skills suitable to careers within Audio Visual support for events, conferences, television / broadcasting, music and theatre. This will include understanding technologies and resources used in video, web streaming, sound production, lighting and grip (mounting equipment).
Support will include interacting with customers at the Informatics Loan counter front desk – booking out equipment and taking in customer returns. Day-to-day organization of lab and studio facilities, including sorting out cables, tidying equipment and cleaning specialist resources.
Assisting the Specialist Media technician in setup of broadcast video equipment, computer systems and studios.
Over the course of this post, AV support will be revamping existing facilities and preparing new ones for the start of semester 1, 2021. This role will provide a valuable 2nd pair of hands to support the specialist technician in media to deliver this work, especially in relation to areas where lone working may be an issue, both from a practical and a health & safety position.
- Supporting the specialist technical (media) in the delivery of events, new facilities and equipment setups as a “2nd pair of hands”.
- Day-to-day housekeeping of specialist studios and facilities, including cleaning of technical equipment where general university cleaning staff are unable to access / not within their remit. Sorting out cables, tidying equipment, etc.
- Assisting in the clearance of specialist rooms / facilities including the move of resources to allow for building work to take place (Horton D Cladding project).
- Supporting the Informatics Loan Counter in loaning out of audio visual equipment. Booking equipment and returning used equipment to stock
- Making up cables / soldering cable repairs.
- Printing artwork and signs using large format printers.
Weekly Wage: Minimum Wage – dependent on age
Employer Name & Location: University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford, BD7 1DP
Working week - contracted hours / full time / part time: 25 Hours per week, Monday to Friday. To be agreed on Appointment.
Number of vacancies & closing date for applications: 1 Vacancy, Ongoing
Duration – Perm / temp: 6 Months
Essential skills, experience and qualifications:
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Lifting / carrying and general manual handling is essential for this role
Details of employability support (training opportunities/mentor):
- Central and local induction
- On the job training
- Access to various training courses by University’s People Development Team
If you are interested in this Kickstart Placement, aged 16-24 and claiming Universal Credit, please contact your DWP work coach at your local Job Centre Plus to go through the application process for this placement.