Customer Service Professional (On Train/Trainee Conductor) - York Railway Station
Based on train services that operate from York Railway Station
There's a lot more to this job than checking tickets. It's about creating rapport with customers and acting as the face of our business. With a mixture of classroom and practical training, you can progress to a Qualified Conductor in around three months.
Being a conductor, you need to know your stuff, routes and rules, issuing tickets and honouring rail cards, delays and other possible problems, which can be distressing for customers. We'll teach you what you need to know but it's at those times that the quality of your customer service, communication and dedication will be truly tested.
As confident in your decision making as you are under pressure, you'll be ready for every challenge that comes your way and no matter what hours you happen to be working that week (this is no regular 9-to-5 job).
If you're ready for the training, can be flexible about your working hours and will enjoy the critical responsibility and the opportunity to make the most of your natural people skills, then this is definitely the role for you.
You will also work towards the Level 3 Diploma in the Customer Service Apprenticeship qualification. The programme is designed to enhance your awareness of the business and the importance of the customer within it. The qualification is an internationally recognised City and Guilds Diploma and provides a progression route to degree level qualifications.
We offer an attractive salary of £30,418 per annum for a 35 hours week, once qualified. During training, you'll receive £22,629 per annum. Plus, free travel on TransPennine Express train services for the successful applicants
Employer Name & Location:
TransPennine Express based at Dewsbury Station
Full Time, 35 hours per week. Our trains operate around the clock as do our stations. To ensure our services are appropriately resourced you'll follow a varying shift pattern which can include early starts, some night time and weekend working. Please note, due to safety reasons, we cannot consider applications who live more than 60 minutes commutable distance from the York station.
Number of vacancies & closing date for applications:
1 vacancy, closing date to be confirmed, vacancies can close earlier due to high volume of applications.
Qualification and educational requirements:
Applicants will be required to complete an online application form and will be invited to complete an online assessment. If your scores are high enough and your application meets TransPennine standard, we'll send you to a full days assessment centre and if successful you'll be invited to an interview with member of our customer experience team.
Essential and desirable skills:
- Due to the safety responsibilities in the role applicants must:
- Not have defective colour vision or undergone laser eye surgery
- You must be willing to work irregular and unsociable shift patterns
- You must be over 18 years old.
- You must be able to pass a drug and alcohol screening and meet the medical requirements for the role.
- Excellent customer service skills in any context, e.g., retail, care, hospitality, leisure in the good times and the bad.
- Friendly and approachable manner
- Be confident in your decision making under pressure
- Be committed to learning our routes and rules, issuing tickets and honouring rail cards, delays, and other possible problems, which can be distressing for customers.
Full Training Provided
No two days are ever the same. It’s an exciting time to join TransPennine Express. We also do a great job of looking after our people. We offer:
- Free TransPennine Express rail travel for you and your family. *Terms and conditions apply.
- Travel discounts on other train companies including international rail travel after 1 years’ service. *Terms and conditions apply.
- Friends & family rail travel offers. *Terms and conditions apply.
- Friends & family bus travel offers*Terms and conditions apply.
- Final Salary Pension Scheme.
- Discretionary bonus.
- Employee Assistance Programme - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, we make sure there's someone on-hand to offer guidance, advice and useful information for our people when they are experiencing hardship at work or at home’.
- Structured training and development
- A personal development plan.
- Excellent career prospects
Please fill out the details below to apply.