Lab Research Technician - Materials and Microbes Technician - University of Bradford
Main purpose of the role
To support a range of funded projects and a number of smaller knowledge transfer projects by providing microbiology support. Technical and assistance with routine culture, counting and manipulation of bacteria would be an invaluable asset to assist all of our projects.
The applicant will gain experience and practical skills in:
- Provide microbiology support to a range of funded projects involving the interactions of microbes with polymer materials.
- Detecting bacterial infections as well as using bacteria and fungi to degrade polymers.
- Maintaining bacterial cultures, storage of bacteria and assisting in various experiments (counting, staining etc.) alongside post-graduate, post-doctoral and technician researchers.
The post is suitable for either:
A graduate biologist with experience of microbiology techniques and aseptic working obtained during degree studies.
An applicant with BTEC Level 3 or above or science A-Levels including studies in microbiology
Weekly Wage: Minimum Wage – dependent on age
Employer Name & Location: University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford, BD7 1DP
Working week - contracted hours / full time / part time: 25 hours per week, Monday to Friday. To be agreed on appointment.
Number of vacancies & closing date for applications: 1 Vacancy
Closing Date: Ongoing
Duration – Perm / temp: 6 Months
Essential and desirable skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email.
- Excellent written and oral communications–detail focused, accurate and clear
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Graduate degree in Biology or experience of microbiology techniques with science qualifications to at least Level 3
- Central and local induction
- On the job training
- Access to various training courses by University’s People Development Team
If you are interested in this Kickstart Placement, aged 16-24 and claiming Universal Credit, please contact your DWP work coach at your local Job Centre Plus to go through the application process for this placement.