Research Assistant - Chemistry - University of Bradford
Main purpose of the role
This role will support research aimed at the development of natural-product derived antimalarial and anticancer drugs.
- To extract and purify a natural product from plant material – this will involve following an established method.
- To prepare semi-synthetic derivatives of a natural compound (cryptolepine), of interest as an antimalarial.
- To assist with running the laboratory e.g. housekeeping, assisting students.
- Full training and support will be given; this role will best suit a chemistry graduate but the role will also be suitable for an applicant with science A levels or equivalent; interest and enthusiasm for the role are the most important requirements.
Weekly Wage: Minimum Wage – dependent on age
Employer Name & Location: University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford, BD7 1DP
Working week - contracted hours / full time / part time: 25 Hours per week, Monday to Friday. To be agreed on Appointment.
Number of vacancies & closing date for applications: 1 Vacancy
Closing Date: Ongoing
Duration – Perm / temp: 6 Months
Essential and desirable skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email.
- Excellent written and oral communications–detail focused, accurate and clear
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Degree in Chemistry preferred but not essential
- Central and local induction
- On the job training
- Access to various training courses by University’s People Development Team
If you are interested in this Kickstart Placement, aged 16-24 and claiming Universal Credit, please contact your DWP work coach at your local Job Centre Plus to go through the application process for this placement.