Research Lab Assistant - Biochemistry - University of Bradford
Main purpose of the role
To undertake, with help and support from Dr Jones, a research project developing flow-through enzyme reactors for making drug metabolites.
- Develop experience in basic laboratory techniques including liquid handling, weighing, buffer preparation, and chemical handling.
- Develop confidence in technical and interpersonal skills to allow then to engage with science-based employment opportunities.
- Assist to, and undertake, research experiments, using core techniques (enzyme assays, spectrophotometry, fluorimetry, High Performance Liquid Chromatography) in analytical biochemistry.
- Undertake work in accordance with health and safety guidelines, including developing Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health and risk assessment documents.
- Preparation of Standard Operating Procedure documents and develop methodology protocols.
- Develop experience of data analysis and data handling.
- Experience a research-active environment, interact with academic staff, researchers and graduate students.
Weekly Wage: Minimum Wage – dependent on age
Employer Name & Location: University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford, BD7 1DP
Working week - contracted hours / full time / part time: 25 Hours, Monday to Friday, To be agreed on appointment.
Number of vacancies & closing date for applications: 1 Vacancy
Closing Date: Ongoing
Duration – Perm / temp: 6 Months
Essential and desirable skills:
-Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email.
-Excellent written and oral communications–detail focused, accurate and clear
-Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work
-Willingness to learn new skills.
-Ability to work effectively as part of a team
-Excellent interpersonal skills
-Degree in biosciences (preferably biochemistry-related) or chemistry
-Central and local induction
-On the job training
-Access to various training courses by University’s People Development Team
If you are interested in this Kickstart Placement, aged 16-24 and claiming Universal Credit, please contact your DWP work coach at your local Job Centre Plus to go through the application process for this placement.