Research Lab Assistant – Centre for Skin Sciences - University of Bradford (Kickstart Placement)
Main purpose of the role:
Based in the Centre for Skin Science (CSS) labs, this project will aim to characterize the human glucose receptor (SLCA1-4) in different fibroblast subpopulations isolated from skin and hair cells and how levels change in response to high glucose levels like those seen in type-2 diabetes. Expression of other targets in the glucose response pathway will also be analyzed by various methods. The project is suitable for a graduate with a biological sciences degree or equivalent and training in particular techniques will be provided.
This project proposal was originally earmarked for suitable students through the Erasmus scheme last year which unfortunately has been postponed due to COVID. We feel this makes it an ideal project for a graduate worker through KickStart and would allow us to generate valuable pilot data for future research applications, whilst providing the successful applicant with valuable research training and experience in a dynamic research lab.
The applicant will gain experience and practical skills in:
- Assistance with day-to-day running of labs as part of a vibrant research group
- Quantitative Polymerase Chain Reaction (qPCR) analysis to analyse gene expression
- Western blot analysis and quantification to analyse protein expression and post translational modifications
- Statistical analysis of results
- Fluorescent microscopy and primary cell culture
- Training and experience of additional biological research techniques where necessary
- Documentation of analyses and results.
- Progress reports to CSS PI and Senior Scientist
- Participation in day-to-day laboratory running and organisation.
- Opportunities to learn and research and co-author research publications.
Weekly Wage: Minimum Wage – dependent on age
Employer Name & Location: University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford, BD7 1DP
Working week - contracted hours / full time / part time: 25 Hours per week, Monday to Friday. To be agreed on Appointment.
Number of vacancies & closing date for applications: 1 Vacancy, Ongoing
Duration – Perm / temp: 6 Months
Essential skills, experience and qualifications:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email.
- Excellent written and oral communications–detail focused, accurate and clear
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Graduate degree or equivalent preferably in a biological sciences subject
Details of employability support (training opportunities/mentor):
- Central and local induction
- On the job training
- Access to various training courses by University’s People Development Team
If you are interested in this Kickstart Placement, aged 16-24 and claiming Universal Credit, please contact your DWP work coach at your local Job Centre Plus to go through the application process for this placement.