Research Support Technician – The Analytical Centre - University of Bradford
Main Purpose of the Role
The Analytical Centre (AC) provides a central facility for chemical analysis at the University of Bradford supporting internal teaching and research activities across the Faculty of Life Sciences, as well as performing ‘fee for service’ type work for our industrial clients. We operate a small technical team of scientists to maintain the analytical infrastructure and support the research work performed by various groups. The KickStart role would join the existing team and provide support with instrument maintenance, calibration regimes, acquisition of analytical data and research support. Suitable for BSc/MSc/MChem graduates of a chemistry-based discipline (including Materials, MedChem, Analytical specialisms etc.)
Main roles and responsibilities
- To assist in the day-to-day operation of the laboratories and existing AC staff with maintaining equipment in good working order and monitoring / replenishing stocks of laboratory consumables (focusing on chromatography techniques (gas chromatography and High Performance Liquid Chromatography) but expanding to more advanced instruments as the role progresses
- Assist in the acquisition of analytical data and the preparation of reports and certificates of analysis with support from existing AC staff
- Generate data in support of commercial projects for our industrial collaborators with support from existing AC staff
- Execute standard operating procedures and/or published analytical methods with support from existing AC staff
- To perform experimental work within recognised frameworks of Quality Assurance e.g. Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) under the guidance of existing AC staff experienced in the principles of GLP.
- Maintain experimental records and archive data in appropriate formats
- Operate to current Health and Safety protocols in all aspects of the work undertaken
Weekly Wage: Minimum wage- dependant on age
Employer Name & Location: University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford, BD7 1DP
Working week - contracted hours / full time / part time: 25 Hours per week, to be confirmed at appointment
Number of vacancies & closing date for applications: 1 Vacancy
Closing Date: Ongoing
Duration – Perm / temp: 6 Months
Essential and desirable skills:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email.
- Excellent written and oral communications–detail focused, accurate and clear.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work.
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Degree in biosciences (preferably biochemistry-related) or chemistry.
- Central and local induction
- On the job training
- Access to various training courses by University’s People Development Team
If you are interested in this Kickstart Placement, aged 16-24 and claiming Universal Credit, please contact your DWP work coach at your local Job Centre Plus to go through the application process for this placement.