Teaching/Research Technician in pharmacology - University of Bradford (Kickstart Placement)
Main Purpose Of The Role:
Across research and teaching, the technician will provide support for the scientific research investigations and science-based teaching practical’s on undergraduate programmes The technician will support the research endeavours of the school by undertaking a range of routine technical tasks and experiments. As a core member of the School of Pharmacy & Medical Sciences, they will support and the running or practical based laboratory sessions.
Main Responsibilities of the job:
- Demonstrating procedures: Tissue culture (maintaining and expanding cell lines), proteomics (protein isolation, western blotting, ribonucleic acid isolation and polymerase chain reaction).
- Maintenance of cell stocks
- Preparation of bulk reagents
- Collecting, preparing and/or testing samples.
- Maintaining and calibrating equipment.
- Carrying out risk assessments
- Performing risk assessment/updating Control of Substances Hazardous to Health documents
- Ordering and maintaining stock and resources
- Animal husbandry
Weekly Wage: Minimum Wage – dependent on age
Employer Name & Location: University of Bradford, Richmond Road, Bradford, BD7 1DP
Working week - contracted hours / full time / part time: 25 Hours per week, Monday to Friday. To be agreed on Appointment.
Number of vacancies & closing date for applications: 1 Vacancy, Ongoing
Duration – Perm / temp: 6 Months
Essential skills, experience and qualifications:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email.
- Excellent written and oral communications–detail focused, accurate and clear.
- Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise work.
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Degree in biosciences (preferably biochemistry-related) or chemistry.
Details of employability support (training opportunities/mentor):
- Central and local induction
- On the job training
- Access to various training courses by University’s People Development Team
If you are interested in this Kickstart Placement, aged 16-24 and claiming Universal Credit, please contact your DWP work coach at your local Job Centre Plus to go through the application process for this placement.